You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-20 18:23:37

Murray_Fraser

Boarding ladder for V26/800

My current ladder is a hook over but is wobbly, can only be fitted forward of safety gate and does not reach below water line.  I am looking to replace with light steel that can be removed when sailing, reaches below waterline and I suspect needs to be fitted to bra kets.  Suggestions please and also advice on fitting brackets to gunwhale as there is no deck space on V800 adjacent to safety gate.

VICTORIA 800 Dulcibella

#2 2021-07-23 13:47:28

Jonathan_Hopper

Re: Boarding ladder for V26/800

I use a Lazilas 5 step ladder which leaves one or two under water.   This has a couple of brackets on deck with the ladder locates in.   It is not by all means perfect, but a lot more stable than just the 'hang over the side' variety.   Having at least one step under water is much easier when getting back on board after swimming, or when kayaking.

Mine is set up by the shrouds.   I always find it easier to get on and off there, particularly as the shrouds give a very useful handhold.   You can also reach the handrail when half on - handy if conditions are particularly wobbly.   It has the disadvantage of not being where you can take the guardrail down, but I have never found this an issue.

To have something completely rigid you are probably looking at a fixed set of steps, perhaps with a hinge.   There are one or two around like that - Beguine perhaps one?   If I can find any photos I will email.

#3 2021-07-26 13:25:03

Murray_Fraser

Thanks Jonathan.  How did you fix the deck brackets?  Drill, epoxy and screw or did you need access below to fit a backing plate?  I was thinking of the shrouds as they offer ample handhold.  My gates are adjacent to the jib winches and on the 800 there is almost no deck available due to the cockpit coaming.  Photo of the bracket position would be very helpful.

VICTORIA 800 Dulcibella

#4 2021-07-27 18:41:25

Jonathan_Hopper

Pretty sure all I did was drill/epoxy/self tap.   I'll see if I have any photos here of use, but can take some more when next up there, and email them to you.

#5 2021-07-27 21:58:02

Murray_Fraser

OK, thanks.  Using self tappers makes fitting much easier.  The manual indicates the deck has a core of 12mm of marine ply beneath the jib track and in way of stanchions however I am unsure of the total thickness of the deck.....I can see no reference in the manual to this. Can you recall screw length?  I do not want to drill right through the deck if I can avoid it!

VICTORIA 800 Dulcibella

#6 2021-07-28 02:39:05

Bill_Robinson

I have been doing some deck cut outs on my Frances 26 to fit an anchor windlass. On my boat, the total deck thickness is just over 19 mm. The core is 12mm the outer grp layer is 4 mm, and the inner grp layer is 3 mm. If you make sure that the screws do not penetrate the deck more than 16 mm you should be fine. I am drilling 12 mm diameter holes through the outer grp and the core, and then epoxy filling them. This is for small items that do not require through bolting such as a Dorade box, which will be secured with self tapping screws.

#7 2021-07-29 07:41:35

Murray_Fraser

Bill, thank you for that, really helpful.   I noticed that the 800 manual shows a plan layout indicating areas where reinforcement has been added and the type but does not fully clarify total thickness in different areas.  Not sure 16mm would be sufficient for a boarding ladder particularly if the individual was large or a shock was applied....someone slipping or having to be assisted out of the water by someone else.  Jonathan's observation will be valuable.

VICTORIA 800 Dulcibella

#8 2021-07-30 11:55:32

Jonathan_Hopper

I have emailed some photos - please let me know if they arrive.

I could draw a screw and see what it is, but they are Sikaflexed in, but can do so later in the year if it is still of interest.   When drilling into the deck you can feel when you get to the lower glass, so can get appropriate screws at that point.

The 2 brackets have 4 screw holes each.   The weight of a person is largely down, with some shear - ie nothing is trying to pull the brackets up.   Perhaps if the steps are down and rammed hard enough (fore and aft direction) one side might pull out.   Two steps are under water, so it is not possible for a dinghy to get under it for example.     It is not really a 'heavy weight' solution, but seems up to the task.  If you want to use bolts instead, on the Frances there is access under the deck, so isn't a problem.

There an argument that Bob Hathaway put to me on another matter to consider - if you over engineer the fixings and have a big enough accident, then the repair could be much bigger than small holes in the deck.   Sometimes it pays to think which you want as the weakest link.

Re. assisting somebody out of the water.   This is a big subject in itself.   Not convinced up the steps is a possibility if the person in the water has limited capacity.   My plan would be to use the staysail (though a boarding ladder might have a part to play) - thankfully untested, but always interested in other people's views/experiences on this.

An interesting article here if you want to go DIY: https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/no … tram-29605

#9 2021-07-30 21:07:59

Murray_Fraser

Thank you Jonathan, please no need to draw a screw.  I have everything I need now.  I think I will go for KISS solution and not over engineer.  I have a Crewsaver canvas seat for mast access or overboard recovery although hope I never have to use it for the latter.

VICTORIA 800 Dulcibella

Board footer