You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-27 16:39:22

John_Willis
Resigned
Website

Twisting Main Sheet

I find the aft lines of my mainsheet system, between boom and track, quickly twist together.  I rethread the main sheet, but it always happens again soon.

It may be that my main sheet system is peculiar to the Francis 34 Pilot House, but has anyone else had a similar problem and solved it?

I would be happy to go into more details with photographs by email if necessary.

Best wishes to all

John Willis

#2 2020-10-27 19:22:08

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

Re: Twisting Main Sheet

It might well be peculiar to the PH edition; I've never had mainsheet twist on Blue Opal.

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

#3 2020-11-13 19:25:53

Kevin_Misselbrook
Resigned

Hi John,
I'm not familiar with the block arrangement on a V34 but a few years ago I had a Cornish Yawl that suffered the same problem. 
The cause was that the blocks had swivels in them that allowed them to turn and twist once the load was on.
Changing to a fixed fiddle block or in my case disabling the swivel mechanically will help if that's the case. If you have and extra shackle between the block and boom that can also allow the same twisting effect.
There's also a belief that the way we store and coil sheets exacerbates the problems (ie : every coil clockwise).  I haven't tried it but there are alternative ways of coiling sheets such as "The Climbers Way" which reduce the tendency to store twist within a sheet.

#4 2020-11-15 13:39:32

John_Willis
Resigned
Website

Hello Kevin,

I use the Climber's Way for coiling sheets, but wondered about the blocks and was thinking of some sort of twinned block system.  Thanks, I will give what you suggest a try as it is much simpler.

Board footer